Saturday, July 28, 2007

18 Mile Tour to Lake Minnetonka

The running paths we have around here are absolutely breathtaking. It's the small things in life like that that make even the worst days seem to be better. And today was a horrible day. I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed because from moment one this morning I wanted to destroy something.

So I start getting ready for my run and can't find my iPod. All things considered this isn't a big deal because running without music isn't that bad. But what really frustrated me was the fact that it's nowhere to be found. I've looked high, low, and sideways but can't find it. The headphones are right where I left them but not the iPod. As of the time of writing the dumb thing is still not found.

So I decided instead to use my iPhone to listen to music. That was a decent idea except for one thing: only the stock headphones work with it because of its recessed headphone jack. The stock headphones don't stay in my ears. Needless to say, the iPhone got tucked away very early on in the run and the stock headphones almost found themselves in a number of trash bins along the way. By this point I'm borderline starting to lose it. But the best is yet to come.

Today's run really was beautiful. Thank The Maker I was on a tree lined trail, many parts of which were covered by the overhanging branches. That was the only thing that kept me from going completely out of my mind. I decided to do a 9 mile out and back run for a total of 18 miles. Everything physically felt okay. I've been feeling some stiffness and pain in my left ankle but other than that I was strong. After finishing the first 9 miles I turned around and headed back.

All is going so swimmingly well I decide to pick it up a bit and finish the last 9 on a strong note. By this time it was getting pretty warm and my heart rate was seriously getting up into the high zone 3 range. I know this because I told my Garmin Forerunner 305 to keep me there. NOTE: I understand the following is completely my fault but seriously...this absolutely must be fixed in the next revision of the Forerunner.

At this point, no matter how slowly I ran, my heart rate was up in zones 4 and 5 (I even got it up to 6. Aw yeah.) Here's the annoyance. When you're heart rate gets too high or too low, the Forerunner likes to let you know this...again, and again, and again, and again, and... I think you get the idea. The notification it makes is this string of beeping noises. These noises are to the ears what concentrated raw sewage is to the nose. AND YOU CAN'T GET AWAY FROM IT. So no only does the unit make this God aweful noise but it does it repeatedly, every 10 seconds. So I got to listen to this for 9 miles. Yes, I hated my life for roughly 2 hours, 45 minutes.

I really hope life doesn't do anything stupid to me today. Here's the route I took:

No comments: