Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Refreshing Return

Last week I was a mess. Training was going horribly (in fact I skipped the entire week) and I was crabby constantly. I even emailed my coach asking what I could do because I was really suffering emotionally and mentally with everything around me. He told me to shorten up the distances on the bike and swap things around if need be. He even suggested I take some time off to recoup.

It just so happened that weekend I was going to San Francisco with my girlfriend and it wound up being a great opportunity for a recharge. I did little to no training at all while we were there. The most difficult training I did involved muscling up Lombard St (approx 31% grade) twice. Needless to say, Devra hung tight making fun of me as I battled the hill.

Other than that she and I biked from Fisherman's Wharf to the Golden Gate Bridge, across it and finally over to Sausalito and back. Other than the hills it was a casual ride and nice to be out in the open air.

When I did finally manage to get back to Minneapolis I was fresh and ready to go. Stationary cycling still completely sucks. I don't think there's much to do with it. But getting a chance to get out of my element and be in a different environment really gave me the recharge I needed to jump forward.

So, with as much kicking and screaming I did about going to San Francisco, with all my griping about missing training, I have to publicly state to Devra: "You were right baby."

Something tells me I'm going to be saying that a lot for many years to come.

No comments: