Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Great Day with a Sad Ending

Okay. Maybe it's not all that sad. But it's disappointing.

I was rummaging around the net today looking into, what else, triathlons and ultra endurance events. To my amusement I found two that really struck a chord with me.

The Copperman Triathlon

10-S Triathlon

Both of these are in the beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan. I miss that area and wish I could go there all the time. If I could live there and work here and not have to commute I'd be in heaven. That area is my home. But tomorrow's another day. We'll see what it has to bring.

Anyway, what's sad is The Copperman Tri falls smack dab on the same day as another event I want to make a tradition of: The Tour de Tonka. I was the first person to sign up for the Tour de Tonka this year so I definitely cannot back out of it. Plus, they're changing the route this year. I've got to do it.

On the bright side, the 10-S Triathlon I can do. It'd be a quick, spur of the moment weekend thing but I can pull it off. It's not even a sanctioned triathlon which makes it more fun. Literally it sounds like a small, unofficial tri. But the best part: it goes right by the school I called home for almost 7 years. We swim in the portage, bike somewhere by the school, and do an out-and-back run. Hopefully it isn't full. I'd LOVE to do this event. I've got an email in to the director of the event. We'll see what happens.