Sunday, January 16, 2011

On the Fast Track

Almost three weeks ago I started training for the 2011 season. It's an interesting mix of races I'm doing and decided to approach the season differently than I have in previous years. I'm combining a half-ironman training program with a marathon program. Since I have such a challenging triathlon in very close proximity to my twomarathons I need to make sure I'm prepping for everything.

This is a typical week in my training life:

DayWorkout 1Workout 2
MondayEndurance Swim
TuesdaySpeed BikeWeights
WednesdaySpeed RunTable Cell
ThursdaySpeed SwimWeights
FridayOFFOFF
SaturdayEndurance RunWeights
SundayEndurance Bike

So far so good. I'm able to keep up with most of it without sacrificing too much of my life. I know it looks a bit odd having all the endurance stuff during a 3-day stretch and then all the speed workouts during another 3-day stretch. There may be some rearranging of the workouts at some point but at least up to now it's working for my needs.



I'm now able to say taking the time off at the end of 2010 was completely necessary. I'm loving training and loving the process. Sure it gets frustrating from time to time but the burnout I was suffering from is nowhere to be found. In fact, it's gone from a loathed pass time to a wonderful adventure.

I'm tracking my workouts using either the Garmin watch I've been using for years or my iPhone with the Runkeeper Pro app. The iPhone seems to get better GPS signal but lacks the heart rate monitor and the ability to stop the clock when I'm stopped. That winds up being a big deal since there are so many stoplights and stop signs in Chicago. Hopefully this will be an improvement in later releases of the program. But for now it's onward and upward.

No comments: