Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Shitty Days

I suppose we have to have them. After all, part of human nature is to take for granted what we have. I don't know a single person who's immune to that either. Without the bad you cannot appreciate the good.

My guess is that's why we have winter. Any season where you'd die if you were outside barefoot is not pleasant. Don't kid yourself. It's not. But, after we suffer through it we're greeted with spring. And spring is an amazing season. I'm convinced we'd not even give spring a second thought if we didn't spend half a year shoveling snow, tripping on ice, seeing nothing but brown and white, and warming your toes on a stove top.

If you really want to take this a step further, I think our day-to-day life is like that too. We cannot appreciate how awesome it is to be fit and healthy until we go through a tough [non-terminal] sickness or some other kind of life catastrophe. That's how change happens. That's how we grow. That's how we learn to appreciate just how great it is to have our health and our fitness.

Today was one of those days. You know those days. Those shitty days. A day where you wake up, still lying in bed, and just know deep down that no matter what happens today is going to be horrible.

There's no changing it. It's just how the stars were aligned or how G-d designed the day. Maybe I was due. Who knows. What I do know is I woke up and just felt miserable. Not ill miserable. Miserable like I wanted to punch someone. Miserable like if my job were to suddenly vanish it wouldn't surprise me one bit. On that note, I knew that wouldn't happen because that would actually make me happy, contradicting the pace of the day.

Without writing down my whole day, let me just summarize some of today's gems.

  • Housemate was a disgusting slob and left hair all over the place in the bathroom this morning.
  • People at work were being unusually whiny. I hate whiners (G-d help me if I ever have kids.)
  • Dry cleaners lost my never worn $80 shirt for my sister's wedding.
  • Someone was using the weight machine I use at the gym. No one is ever on it. He was on there for over an hour. Jackass!
  • The anger I've felt all day just grew and grew. I even prayed for it to go away and it got worse.


I don't know about you but some days I just have to cut my losses, know it's going to be a living nightmare, and go through it.

Luckily I was able to occupy myself in other ways at the gym to relieve the stress. After an hour of weight lifting and an hour of "boot camp" I felt better. Still angry but at least the desire to strangle the next person to talk to me is gone.

Glad I have exercise to help me out. Can't imagine what I'd do without it. Hope I never have to find out.

1 comment:

Kimmi said...

I'm sorry, but I totally laughed out loud because two bullet points after "hating whiners" is a COMPLETELY whiny comment about someone using a weight machine you wanted to use at the gym. Wow.