Sunday, August 5, 2007

Hennepin Lake Classic

Today was one of those days where I woke up and didn't want to do anything. I had a 20 mile run scheduled but stayed up till about 1:00 am this morning talking with friends. To top that off, I ate a bunch of potato chips (not on my standard diet but they sure did taste wonderful). So, when 6:00 rolled around I was less than enthused to do 20 miles much less any running of any sorts. And to top that off I had a race scheduled: the Hennepin Lake Classic Doubleheader - a 10K followed by a 5K.

I planned on skipping the race and the 20 mile run altogether because of a complete lack of motivation. Thankfully my senses got the better of me and I went to the race. While waiting for the race I did some warm up jogging and felt just horrible. I was stiff, didn't feel like being there, and really wanted to nap. But I stayed the course and decided to run the races.

All through the race, I didn't look at my Forerunner at all to see the pace. In the past that used to be useful but it's become a crutch. Mentally, I would collapse if I was going too fast or too slow. Instead, I just kept it there and focused on the moment. I focused on each step I took, taking in the excitement of the people around me and the beautiful scenery. That focus really paid off as I set a PR in at least the 10K and I think also in the 5K. I've still got to check the records on that one but I'm sure I did.

To top that off, I met and got re-acquainted with a number of top quality people I've seen at some other races. To me, that's most of the excitement of the races. Never in my normal day do I get to meet such wonderful people. We all have common goals and they're all such a blast to hang around with and talk to. I love races. They are really a great way to meet the people I want to meet. No where else have I found this to be true. And to think...if I were to skip the races today I would have not had all the wonderful opportunities I had today. I'm double the man that I was when I woke up today because of it. Even on days where you don't want to wake up and are actively convincing yourself to not do a run or a race, you really need to search deep down for the energy and love of the sport to get yourself out there. There's no telling who you'll meet and how you'll do. Who knows? It might be one of those runs that changes your life like today was for me. And to think I almost missed it because I was feeling lazy.

I haven't felt so happy and alive in a long time. I can't wait for the next one. There's nothing on the calendar yet until 9-September: City of Lakes 25K.

Here are today's maps:



No comments: