Friday, February 4, 2011

Out of Balance

In as much as the resolve was made to make this week (Week 6!) of training the first where I was back on track, I wound up yet again missing more days of training than I would have liked. Something is wrong with the formula of life I'm living right now and up until this morning I couldn't put my finger on it. This morning I decided to sleep in because of all the extra hours of work I've been putting in. Both of my bosses are out on business today and since I'm caught up through the end of the month it was my executive decision to execute a 3/4 work day. The alarm went off at my usual 5:15 but this time instead of hitting snooze, I turned the alarm clock off thinking I'd wake up in 30 or so minutes to turn it off. However, the next time I looked at the clock it was 7:30 and I still felt like a bus had hit me. After taking a few moments to reflect on this, I came to the conclusion that my life is very much out of balance. Work is consuming too much time, I'm staying up too late and waking up too early. That's a formula that does not yield much success, as my training clearly reflects. So, starting this weekend I need to find balance again. It isn't clear where or how to find it but a few things are clear:
  1. I need more sleep.
  2. I need to become more efficient at my work so it becomes a less time consuming portion of my day.
  3. I need to get my personal life on track.
Of those listed, I think the first is the easiest to address. I just need to go to bed earlier. If I can do that and wake up refreshed then getting to the gym at 5:15 will be a non-issue. The third item will just take time. Being in a committed relationship commands very different time management skills than does being a bachelor. As for work, I'm actively working on implementing a new system at work that will make work more efficient for everyone. That day is my personal holy grail. I'm working like crazy to make it happen sooner than anyone is anticipating. Hopefully before too long we'll be up and running with this new system. It's my hope that as soon as I can solve some of these issues that life will get back on track. Here's hoping I'm right and it happens sooner than later.

No comments: